Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What Have I Been Up To?!

Well its been awhile since I've posted hasn't it?

I've been busy at work, busy organizing scrapbook pages(I'll elaborate on this in another post) and then I was away all weekend!

I was away with my friend Kathryn at Memories Manor in St.Clair, Michigan and it was such a wonderful weekend! Terrific accomodations, wonderful scrap space, wonderful food, squeezed in some shopping and got lots of scrapping done!

Kathyrn and I both cleaned up at Kohls, lots of sales, so we got tops galore! And a few other things too!And I'll post some of the layouts I finished in another post but for now I'll share some highlights of the Manor.

The Manor is a 10,000 square foot mansion built in 1882 that has been restored by Jan and Deanna with help from their family. The detail work in the house is just gorgeous although some original painting and fireplaces have been changed or removed through the years. Fortunately some of the original handpainted flower border in what used to be the reception rooms was retained and I do have a couple pics in the slide show below. We stayed in the Sinclair room and there were several other unique and pretty rooms. Likewise the baths were beautifully decorated and had some unique features. Our scrap space was huge with terrific lighting, it was a very comfortable spot to scrapbook. Then there was the food, it was totally awesome!



Jan and Deanna of Memories Manor were the perfect hosts and sent us the recipes for the wonderful things they served. Hopefully they won't mind me sharing a couple of my favourites.

Our breakfast on Saturday morning, so yummy!

Raspberry Stuffed French Toast
3 eggs
1/3 C milk
1 T cinnamon
4 slices thick Italian bread
4 oz cream cheese
1/3 pkg frozen raspberries, thawed and mixed with 4 T sugar

Combine eggs, milk and cinnamon in bowl, set aside. Cut a pocket in the side of each bread slice. Mix cream cheese and raspberry mixture. Fill pocket with raspberry cream cheese mix. Dip bread in egg mixture, turning to generously coat both sides. Bake in greased cake pan on 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Flip bread over and bake for an additional 8 minutes until golden brown. Serve with warm syrup. Serves Four

Lunch on Saturday, so fresh tasting!

Chicken Salad

6 cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
2 bunches of red grapes, washed and halved
1 C dried cranberries
2 C mayo
Salt
Pepper

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate. Serves 12. Serve with crackers or on croissants.


Part of our Sunday Breakfast, so sweet, gooey and good!

Cinnamon Walnut Roll

1/3 C. chopped walnuts
½ C. Sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 can Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits (10 count)
½ C. cream cheese , softened
¼ C. melted butter
Rolls:
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Lightly spray 8 or 9 inch round cake pan.
2. In small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar, set aside.
In separate bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth, set aside.
3. Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Press each one
into a 3 inch round. Place 1 teaspoon of cream cheese on center of each biscuit. Bring all sides of dough up over filling,stretching gently if needed, and gather in center above filling to form ball, pinch edges to seal.
4. Roll each biscuit in melted butter, then in sugar/cinn mix. Placing first biscuit in center of pan, seam side down. Repeat with remaining biscuits, sides touching around center biscuit.

5. Pour remaining butter over biscuits.
6. Bake 28 to 33 mins, or until golden brown. Place heatproof serving plate upside down on pan. Carefully turn plate and pan over. Let stand 1 minute, then carefully remove pan
7. Sprinkle walnuts over cake. Drizzle glaze over top of rolls. Serve warm.

Glaze:
1 T cream cheese, softened
1 C. powdered sugar
1 to 2 T milk


It was tough to choose just three recipes, I think I'll share more recipes in a future post as I'll definitely be trying out a few!

And I'll be definitely returning to the Manor for another stay! Anyone want to come with me?


7 comments:

Rosemary said...

What a fabulous mansion....the meals looked so delicious . I will be trying some of those recipes , like the look of the parmesean baskets for salad......

Deanna said...

Wow sounds awesome! I totally want to go now!

Gerry said...

What a stunning 'home' and wonderful piece of history. Thank you for sharing the photos and the link.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I soooo wanna go there! It looks absolutely lovely! j

Regan said...

I'm sooo In!

Joanne said...

Me, me, me! Pick me! I have always wanted to go there!

Anonymous said...

The decor is certainly up your alley, Rosanne. I think Pat would really like the Sinclair room!!
Brenda in Kit