Friday, January 13, 2012

Burger and Hashbrown casserole


It's friday yea!

I often find that I crave comfort food in January and what is more comforting than burger and fries or in this case hashbrowns.


I changed up a burger and fry pot pie recipe from Betty Crocker with hashbrowns and it was pretty good if I do say so myself. And it was quick to make too!

Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained(I used a 28 oz. can and upped the flour)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
2 cups frozen crispy French-fried potatoes (from 20-oz bag)( I used enough hash browns to cover when using a 9 by 13 pan)

Heat oven to 450°F. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain well. Sprinkle flour over beef mixture. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes; heat to boiling. Remove from heat.
In ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole(I used a 9 by 13 pan), spread beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Arrange frozen potatoes evenly in single layer on top.
Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings

4 comments:

Carolyn Wolff said...

Looks yummy. I love comfort food too. Casseroles are one of my fav's. Thanks for sharing.

Deanna said...

Hmm yummo!

Rosemary said...

Yummy . Will try this for sure.

Jeannie said...

Looks delish!