Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Steel Cut Oats

I've been reading/hearing about the virtues of steel cut oats and decided to try them out.

I found the PC brand of oats then browsed through a few online recipes.



I settled on this one from the Food network.



These oats are not the instant, sweet out of the packet version. They definitely have a nuttier flavour and more whole grain texure.

While I did like the recipe I tried, I also want to try the slow cooker version of cooking these oats. And if you're an oatmeal fan like I am, you'll like these.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love oatmeal! Add some brown sugar & a little milk - yummy, yummy! Do you like Red River cereal and Cream of Wheat too? And I love grits when I go to the U.S. j

Rosanne said...

Hey J! I do like Cream of Wheat, I haven't had grits yet will have to try them! I think I've tried Red River cereal but not in awhile!

Rosemary said...

So Healthy! good for you!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Oatmeal yes, the rest - not so much!!
K

Charlene Austin said...

I could eat it morning, noon and night! LOVE oatmeal so I will have to grab some of this from SS next time I go. I also love Cream of Wheat. On the cruise they had grits and it looked like C of W but I was too nervous to try it. Their breakfast Muesli was to die for however. I had enough of the bacon and eggs after day 2. Haha.

Steel Cut said...

Not exactly an oatmeal fan but I love eating oatmeal in a number of different ways. By the way thanks for sharing such a nice article.