Monday, September 22, 2008

The Most Awesome Salad Ever!


As mentioned in my earlier post,here's the recipe to the salad I made this weekend. It is so good, with a wonderful blend of flavours. I used my favourite lettuce mix which made it even better.

This recipe actually was a Cottage Life contest winner in 2001.

Blueberry Drizzle Salad

Ingredients
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
8 cups mixed greens, washed and torn into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Blueberry Syrup (recipe follows)

1. Whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt, and mustard, adding oil gradually at the end.
2. Combine mixed greens, almonds, and cheese. Toss with dressing until well mixed. Drizzle with Blueberry Syrup and toss lightly. Makes 4-6 servings.

Blueberry Syrup:
1/2 cup fresh wild blueberries
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tspfresh lemon juice

Combine blueberries, sugar, and water in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Cool, then add lemon juice. Makes about 1/3 cup (75 ml).

I doubled this recipe for the 13 at our gathering and added about 1 cup of fresh blueberries too.

Make this salad you won't be disappointed! And if you do, let me know what you think.


2 comments:

Rosemary said...

This was a great salad ! Yummy ,please make it again at Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I'm serving blueberry pie for family dinner next Tuesday. Dare I double up on the blueberries with a salad too??
Sounds good to me!!
Brenda