Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Cracker Barrel Fried Apples


One of my favourite treats when we travel in the US is a stop for lunch or dinner at Cracker Barrel. And aside from their hashbrown casserole I always have a side of fried apples. As I had some apples to use up I searched the internet for a fried apple recipe and found this one:


1/4 cup bacon drippings or butter
6 tart apples sliced
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 dash nutmeg

In large skillet melt drippings or butter
Place apples evenly over skillet bottom
Sprinkle lemon juice then brown sugar then salt over apples
Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes untill tender and juicy
Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg
Serve
Makes:6 servings

My version turned out pretty well except the Gala apples held up better under the heat than the Granny Smith. I left the skins on as they do at Cracker Barrel and liked the contrasting colours of the cooked apples.

And they passed the ultimate test, both my daughters liked them!

No comments: